My Diabetes Diagnosis
I started to get the odd pain in my bladder area and sometimes when I went to the toilet it just felt like I had a bladder full but only a bit came out. My mum took me to the doctor and he put a stick in my wee sample and said that it had glucose in it. I wasn't bothered because I didn't know what it meant but I heard the doctor say to my mum that the water infection I had might be causing my wee to have sugar in it but he also said that if I had diabetes, the diabetes might be causing the sugar in my wee. Ok, so mum took me home after the doctor said that he would wait to hear from the hospital but she was (as usual) too worried to wait. She took my finger and did a blood test on me. The meter she used gave her a result in 5 seconds. My mum burst into tears. I wondered what was wrong. She cried "She's 24". Well my granddad (mum's dad) was there and he said "Och no" (he's broad Scottish) and my mum just carried on crying. My dad had just come home this night from a major operation and he couldn't believe what my mum was saying either. My mum rang the doctor and said that I had a reading of 24 and he got us straight over to the hospital for tests. Well, my mum had had diabetes since she was 10 years old so I was sure she knew what she was talking about. Yes, after several blood tests, it was confirmed that I had Type 1 diabetes and I was admitted to hospital.
I was in hospital about five days altogether. My mum slept overnight every night but the whole time she was with me, she cried buckets. There was a family opposite whose son was about my age and he had been diagnosed with the same but his mum wasn't crying like my mum was. I was so embarrassed that I asked my mum to go home and let my Dad sleep over instead. Well my lovely mum (aww) didn't want to go because she hadn't been back to the house since I came into hospital so she knew it was going to be quiet and I know she was thinking that she had better not go and look at my bed or else she will be crying even more.
I now know that my mum drove home, went into the house and screamed in the kitchen really loud, followed by those hot tears that you get when your face is cold. The neighbour who I called Nana came in with some comics for my mum to bring into me. Mum did my washing and cried all the way through it and then, yes, she couldn't resist going into my bedroom. I had a four-poster single bed which my mum absolutely loved. I wished I had had an ordinary bed but my mum wanted me in this one like a princess. My mum lay on my bed, held one of my teddies and cried until her snot glued her to my pillow. Well thanks mum!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Hello. I know it will be hard for you if you have a child with Type 1 Diabetes, but if you would like to contact me, I would love to hear from you in any matter regarding this disease.